Herbs for diabetes or high blood sugar can really help lessen insulin resistance that people with diabetes, especially type 2 diabetes, might have as a cause for their increased blood sugar levels. Not all herbs have the effect of lowering blood sugar, but certain ones are well known for this type of effect. All herbs are natural plants, and so people with allergies need to be careful and make sure they are not allergic to the plant from from the herb comes.
Nevertheless, here are 5 solid options for herbs to help lower high blood sugar levels for people with pre diabetes and diabetes:
1. Cinnamon is a spice and herb from a tree found in India and Sri Lanka. Cinnamon has been shown to lower blood sugar levels and perhaps even fats in the bloodstream like cholesterol or triglycerides, items that are often also elevated abnormally in people with diabetes. Sprinkling good quality cinnamon on food such as a whole grain bowl of oatmeal can help control blood sugar levels.
2. Bitter melon is a type of tropical vegetable from Asia, East Africa, and South America that is part of many home remedies or folk remedies for diabetes. At least the Asian form of bitter melon in research studies has shown that it can lower blood glucose levels, perhaps from the actions of several different compounds found naturally in the vegetable. Make sure to ask your doctor before trying any herb, as many can interact with drugs you are taking and change the blood levels of the drugs up or down or cause other types of side effects such as diarrhea.
3. Gymnema Syvestre is from the tropical forests in India and is an ancient folk remedy for diabetes. Apparently this herb can lower blood sugar in both type 1 and type 2 diabetics. Remember that while you want things that can help lower blood sugar, their effects could cause your usual doses of medication to become too much — and you could end up with too low a blood sugar until your doctor adjusts your medication doses. That is why is it is very important to let your doctor know what you are doing and ask for help making these adjustment in drugs.
You can get a combination herbal product with this key herbal ingredient, along with three other herbs to protect your eyesight (bilberry) and other body parts from high blood sugar and chromium picolinate, an essential trace mineral in the regulation of blood sugar for type 2 diabetics – learn more here.
4. Fenugreek is a plant herb that is found naturally in the Mediterranean area and even in China. This substance can lower blood sugar levels and may have a limited benefit in lowering high blood cholesterol levels as well. This is one of several herbs that pregnant or nursing women should not use — so again, talking with your doctor about your personal situation before trying any herb is very important.
5. Bilberry is the European blueberry. This herb is well known for its benefits on eyesight, but it also has the ability to lower blood sugar that is elevated. Herbalists recommend using this herb in a strong tea made from the leaves of the plant. It can take several cups of bilberry to lower blood sugar, but again, this can vary from person to person.
In summary, these five herbs are among many different natural remedies that can help lower blood sugar levels if they are high and reduce the need for medications. Their effects can be sudden or gradual, making it essential for you to work with your medical professional to make sure that you start and use these options safely for you and to avoid any herb-drug interactions that can occur. Still, given the relatively safe properties of herbs as opposed to drugs, it is worth looking into this strategy for your needs.
Ready to take action and reverse your own blood sugar problems?
Claim your FREE GIFT “Quick Start Checklist for Reversing Diabetes” and free bonus Glycemic Index Food List right now — enter your name and email in the boxes to the right and click the “Claim Your Checklist” button…